Wednesday, May 4, 2011

From the Office of the Coutny Clerk - G30: Astros @ Reds

I don't know that anybody really saw this coming: a pitcher who struggled in the rotation in the minors, who struggled in the bullpen, having thrown more than 25 pitches just once, who goes out and throws a one-hitter in his rotation debut. And then Brandon Lyon came in and dry-humped the hell out of it. Astros lose 4-3. And Lyon, you're buying Rodriguez' dinner.

*Aneury's line: 5IP, 1H/0ER, 3K:1BB, throwing 49 of his 83 pitches for strikes. There's really nothing to base this on, so we'll just leave it at that. Excellent job.

*Before Lyon corn-cobbed the game, a bullpen of Lopez, Abad, Melancon and Fulchino threw 3IP, 0H/0ER, 3K:1BB.

*Then Brandon Lyon Porky-Pigged It, and he allowed 4H/3ER, 0K:1BB in 0IP. 19 pitches, 10 for strikes. Here's the breakdown: Four pitch walk to Stubbs. Stubbs to second on wild pitch, seven pitch single to Heisey, 1-1 single for Votto, 2-1 single for Phillips, and Jay Bruce hit a first-pitch double to score Votto as the winning run.

*Lyon has four blown saves in eight save opportunities, two in a row, and three in his past five outings. In 12 appearances this season (11.1IP), he's allowed 21H/9ER, 5K:3BB. He's allowed runs in four of his past five games.

*Lyon has also thrown 228 pitches (that's 6.7 pitches per out), with 139 strikes, for a 60.9% strike rate (funny comment in response: "The other 39.1% is earned runs")

*Brett Wallace's hitting streak is over at 11, after an 0x4, 2K game. It's his 5th multi-K game of the season.

*And maybe twelve hours after posting that Jason Bourgeois had the most ABs without a walk, he drew one in AB #44. In seven starts for Bourgeois this season, he's hitting 12x30 with 3XBH-4RBI.

*Pence and Bourgeois had the RBIs for today, giving Pence an 8-game hitting streak.

*Man of the Match: Aneury Rodriguez

*Goat of the Game: Brandon Lyon.

No comments: