Sunday, June 2, 2013

Boras won't get in the Astros', Appel's way

Interesting story from Brian Smith and the Chronicle tonight, as Mark Appel's "advisor" Scott Boras says he'll get out of the way if the Astros want Mark Appel with 1.1.

Boras, who has apparently had "a couple of recent pre-draft conversations" with Luhnow, "thinks highly" of the Astros' GM.

I'm sure as they go through this they'll make a decision which, frankly, they've yet to make.

So, according to Boras, the Astros will, in fact, select a player with the #1 overall pick next Thursday. But what it tells us is that Boras, who represents Carlos Pena, Lance McCullers, Rio Ruiz as well as oldStros Rick Ankiel and Tyler Greene, is that he's ready to negotiate. And that he gets what the Astros are doing:

Their conduct last year was truly what they thought baseball-wise was their best decision...They did what they felt was best with the totality of their draft dollars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Translation: Boras got his arse handed to him last year, and ain't keen to repeat the dose.

I also wonder whether Appel is that keen to play for his hometown team that he is prepared to offer a bit of a discount.

MC said...

And, Boras comments after last years draft? Telling.

Anonymous said...

I think we may take a Boras client at 1.1 this year... just probably not Appel. Kris Bryant may get a good, hard look.

Anonymous said...

Luhnow could tell Appel/Boras that if he isn't taken 1.1 then he would only get 1.2 money, and that amount would be negotiated down. That should be the max offered to Appel.